Drowned in my WIP writing and editing I have once again seriously neglected the blog, but the dearth of new posts is over for now. The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFFW) has announced the nominees for the 51st Annual Nebula Awards, to be held in Pittsburgh May 18-21. The full list of nominees published in 2016 can be found here, but in keeping with tradition, my reviews over the next several weeks will focus on the nominees in the short story category, with occasional reviews of some of the novelettes and novellas.
2016 Short Story Nominees
- “Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies”, Brooke Bolander (Uncanny)
- “Seasons of Glass and Iron”, Amal El-Mohtar (The Starlit Wood)
- “Sabbath Wine”, Barbara Krasnoff (Clockwork Phoenix 5)
- “Things With Beards”, Sam J. Miller (Clarkesworld)
- “This Is Not a Wardrobe Door”, A. Merc Rustad (Fireside Magazine)
- “A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers”, Alyssa Wong (Tor.com)
- “Welcome to the Medical Clinic at the Interplanetary Relay Station│Hours Since the Last Patient Death: 0”, Caroline M. Yoachim (Lightspeed)
But wait, this is not the only good news for readers like me who have precious little time and want to invest in really good speculative fiction that kind of, sort of fits in the science fiction, fantasy and horror genres. The Horror Writers Association (HWA) also recently announced the Preliminary Ballots for the 2016 Bram Stoker Awards. The awards will be presented aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California on April 29th.
Here’s the line up for Superior Achievement in Short Fiction.
- Bailey, Michael – Time is a Face on the Water (Borderlands 6) (Borderlands Press)
- Bodner, Hal – A Rift in Reflection (Chiral Mad 3) (Written Backwards)
- Golden, Christopher – The Bad Hour (What the #@&% is That?) (Saga Press)
- Hanson, Michael H. – Conqueror Worms (Dark Corners) (Iron Clad Press)
- Hucklebridge, Dane – Ortolan (F(r)iction #5) (Tethered by Letters)
- Kiste, Gwendolyn – Reasons I Hate My Big Sister (Nightscript Volume 2) (Chthonic Matter)
- Mannetti, Lisa – Arbeit Macht Frei (Gutted: Beautiful Horror Stories) (Crystal Lake Publishing)
- Manzetti, Alessandro – Long Hair’s Inferno (The Monster, the Bad, and the Ugly) (Kipple Officina Libraria)
- Oates, Joyce Carol – The Crawl Space (Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine Volume #2016/Issue#8) (Dell Magazines)
- Smith, John Claude – The Wounded Table (The Wrath of Concrete and Steel) (Dunhams Manor Press)
- Yap, Isabel – Only Unclench Your Hand (What the #@&% is That?) (Saga Press)
Good reading ahead!